CourseTalk turns 3 this month! Here’s what we’re celebrating as we look back on the past year.
- We reached 65 providers (and over 40,000 courses).
Online educators new to CourseTalk this year really do offer something for everyone: the Arabic-speaker (Edraak) and the French-speaker (France Université Numérique); the elementary school student (Khan Academy) and the business school student (Smartly); the programmer (Thinkful), the aspiring executive (Harvard HBX) and more.
- Total reviews surpassed the 100,000 mark.
We couldn’t be more thrilled because every review helps students better navigate the growing proliferation of online courses. Keep ‘em coming!
- One user even left his 100th review.
Greg Hamel told us he reviews to “reflect on courses and consolidate my own learning while helping other students set the right expectations.” Read our full conversation with CourseTalk’s record-breaking reviewer. Thanks for guiding so many CourseTalk users, Greg!
- We partnered with the U.S. government to take MOOCs worldwide.
We’re hard at work on a $1.55 million initiative to determine how online education can help young adults across the developing world grow successful careers. Research is underway in Colombia, the Philippines and South Africa as we speak. Watch for findings early next year!
- And we joined a global committee of online-learning experts.
Just this month, CourseTalk formed the MOOC Expert Committee with organizations spanning the academic, governmental, nonprofit and business worlds. Together, we promote new technologies and advise policymakers on open education endeavors.
- We released findings from our study of all CourseTalk reviews.
Some interesting things we learned: Paid courses are rated, on average, 1.4 stars higher than free courses. Also, course workloads have no effect on ratings. Our users aren’t afraid to pay for quality and put in the hours, it seems!
- Our website got a new look.
CourseTalk’s redesign brought not only a new look and feel to the site, but also an enhanced search function, expanded user profiles and more. We hope you love it as much as we do.
- You can now watch MOOC providers get ranked in real time.
We recently introduced the CourseTalk provider leaderboard so you can see which online educators are getting the most praise from users as it happens. Check it out!
- Google made CourseTalk its #1 search result for online-course reviews.
This is meaningful because easier navigation to CourseTalk means more students find the right courses for them. Countless learners will benefit from the convenience of having the largest catalog of online-course reviews presented at the top of their search results.
- We presented at SXSWedu.
Our session with the U.S. Agency for International Development, “Getting MOOCs to the Developing World,” was a hit! In case you missed it, here’s the audio.
- NewCo chose us as one of “the most innovative and smart companies of our generation.”
CourseTalk was one of 60 forward-thinking companies (including Google, Tesla and the like) selected to present at NewCo Silicon Valley. Our CEO explained what we’ve learned from reviews, then experts from Coursera, edX and beyond shared insights in an animated panel discussion. Watch the fun here.
- News outlets from TIME to the Australian Financial Review showed us love.
A few of our favorite stories:
– Australian Financial Review — People will pay for quality online learning, survey finds
– EdSurge — What Reviews Reveal About Online Learning
– Chief Learning Officer — $1.55M MOOC Project to Expand Global Education
And there’s more to come this year! Stay tuned for more partnerships, site features and announcements already in the works. Many thanks to you, our users, for making CourseTalk’s first years such a fun success.